The kitchen is the room in the house that most home owners would choose to remodel if they could, I am going to give you some tips on kick starting a kitchen remodel!
- Gather your thoughts: look on pinterest, houzze and magazines to get ideas
- Ask your self what you want out of your new kitchen: Do you want to serve meals in the kitchen?, Do you want to have an island? Where do you want to store things to maximize efficiency?
- Make a list of desired features from the answers
- Determine a budget: replacing cabinets is usually 40% of the budget (refacing is a less expensive alternative), make sure you can afford the kitchen you want, or make adjustments
- Find a contractor: Let me know and I can help you find ones!
- Prepare a temporary kitchen: use camping gear or use a utility sink
A client of mine (who happens to also be my daughter 😉) just recently updated her kitchen and used these steps:
- List of desired features: One big sink, garbage pull out, open up kitchen nook so that it could accommodate more people for entertaining, more storage space for kitchen appliances, display glassware, canned lights
- Determine Budget: $13,000 (this is an extremely small budget; average cost of kitchen remodel is $23,000 – $70,000)
- Find a contractor: Father in law who happens to be free! Therefore, being able to keep the budget
- Prepare a temporary kitchen: My daughter borrowed a RV and parked it in front of the house! This also allowed her to hang out in a separate space than the crazy construction zone that a house is in when a remodel is going on!
Here are a couple of before, during and near completion pics:
Cabinets from Lowes- had to make adjustments on cabinetry due to costs, but they turned out still loving them!
Countertops from Home Depot- they were having a 20% off promotion and this also included the sink. Precision countertops installed them, and they did a great job!
Tile from Home depot
Knobs from Target and Amazon: Love the look of the copper accents!
Kitchen near completion and clients couldn’t be happier!
Let me know if you would like more tips on kitchen remodels as well or a monthly newsletter with tips on how to update your home and ideas on how to increase value on your home.
See you next month on how to make easy updates to your house for guests that have access issues.
Spring is here- Selling and buying are trending up, contact me if you want specific information about YOU or YOUR home!